|Dahi Vada Recipe|
Dahi Vada Recipe- Dahi Vada also known as dahi bhalla in Punjabi, is a popular snack in India. It is prepared by soaking vadas in thick dahi (yogurt). Dahi Vada is loved by each and every one with lunch, dinner or as a chaat (Dahi Gujia Chaat).
For best results, the vadas are soaked for at least a couple of hours before serving. To add more flavor, they may be topped with coriander or mint leaves, chili powder, crushed black pepper, chaat masala, cumin, shredded coconut, green chilis, or boondi. Sweeter curd is preferred in some places in India, especially in Maharashtra and Gujarat, although the garnishing remains the same. A combination of coriander and tamarind chutneys are often used as garnishments in addition to those mentioned above.
Vadas can be made and stored in refrigerator for 2-3 days and served as and when required. I have also tried its quick variant- instant vada recipe.
Urad dal-2 cup
Baking powder-1 table spoon
Chaat masala- 1 tea spoon
Dry Roasted Cumin powder-1tea spoon
- Soak dal in water for around 4-5 hours. Drain water and grind dal to make thick batter.
- Keep the batter at warm place for fermentation for about 2-3hours.
- When you want to make vadas, add salt and baking powder to the batter.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Meanwhile take a bowl of water and wet your hands.
- Take a spoon full of batter and spread over your one palm to about 3 inch diameter.
- Again wet your other hand and leave the vada in oil for frying. Flame should be medium.
- Fry from both the sides till light golden. Similarly fry all the vadas.
- Dilute curd by adding milk and water. Beat the curd to make even consistency.
- Soak vadas in luke warm water for 1-2 minutes.
- Take a vada from water and squeeze with palm. Put the vadas in curd.
- Sprinkle salt, jeera powder and chaat masala. Dahi Vada is ready to serve.